Sunday, October 18, 2009

What is a laundry basket table?

I have to admit, in all my furniture wanderings I had never before seen this particular feat of vintage engineering :)  A laundry basket table is an all-metal transforming piece that delivers a huge amount of visual punch while doing twice the workload of normal tables!  This piece has the perfectly fitted original glass top (not pictured), which immediately transforms it into just a beautiful starburst table with all the flair in the world.  However, remove the glass, lift the rim and voila, a perfectly functional extra huge laundry basket!!!  To top it all off the designers put it on casters for the ultimate in convenience!



This design is SO cool and yet if you look online you can find almost nothing about laundry basket tables, it makes you wonder who came up with them, why the double-duty-design and where are they all now?  You can check out this super cool specimen in my shop and if anyone has other info or pictures about these awesome tables please let me know!

My table has a super-retro lime green finish on it that has been scraped down a bit to give it that "rustic, vintage" feel and avoid a "lacquer" look.  I hope the more the table is used the more the finish will wear off at the joints to increase the time-worn feel!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I have one of these laundry baskets, but I never ever thought of adding glass to the top to make it a table!!! Very creative! Great idea! I use mine in my laundry room to hold all of our shoes. Thanks for sharing! By the way, the slipper chair is gorgeous! Fabulous job!!

    Polly

    ReplyDelete