Friday, July 24, 2009

The African Queen Chair

This incredibly regal chair had a very auspicious beginning.  A friend of mine called and said that someone had just put this piece out on the side of the road!  I'll never understand why people do this, the frame was perfect, but the fabric was torn everywhere.  My friend said it had a great shape and boy was she right!

This is how it began...pretty shabby.

Here all the fabric has been taken off but the filler is still in there and the nasty old cushion. 

By this point it's been stripped down and the wood has been cleaned as well.  The whole front has been put in and tufted with the seat put in as well.

Though you can't see it the back here is put on (always the last step!) and this is the finished chair without its cushion.  The gimping and hand nailing turned out incredibly well!

This chair's cushion made me swear off cushions forever (of course I'm working on another one right now :), it was so impossible.  It was completely built from scratch, obviously, as the old one was thrown away.  The fabric on this piece is called "wildcat" and is very classy and exotic!  I really enjoyed working on this one and right now it is in California with it's proud new owner, Katherine!

1 comment:

  1. Saw your blog on etsy - I love before and afters! I'm subscribing so I can keep checking in!

    ReplyDelete